Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Feisty Bento #100: Mr. Bento & me

Today marks the 100th bento I've made.  Whoohoo!  It's been a fun ride, and I can't wait to see where else I go with this... To mark the occasion, I didn't even really go the bento route, instead using the brand new Mr. Bento my brother bought me for Christmas! 

On the left, in the rice container, I put chicken curry (this time, I used House brand Java curry, medium hot- it's hotter than S&B brand curry's medium hot) on the bottom and covered it using the rice lid method to keep the rice soft, not mushy, and the curry hot.  I have to admit that last time I made curry, I didn't use the rice lid method because I was in a rush and decided that it should be fine pre-mixed.  WRONG.  The rice turned mushy and just didn't taste as good as I'd have liked...

Bottom middle container: "sai yeung choi tong", watercress soup made with pork bones (that's one of the first recipes I posted on Feisty Foodie; check out the different writing style and the pictures!)

Right container: half of a Cutie clementine; sliced hothouse cucumbers and roasted pine nut hummus (Sabra brand)

Top container: the last of my pork & chicken gyoza, teddy bear of gyoza sauce; vegetarian duck; a little bit of Korean banchans (mini fish that are salty, spicy squid strands and pickled cucumber)

This is seriously wayyy too much food, which is why I chose to put watercress soup in the soup container (even though it's pretty warm out)- it's less filling, in my opinion, since it's just like drinking water; still filling but calorie free, at least.  I'm really looking forward to lunch, and on the bright side, I remembered that I love having little bits of various foods, a wide variety, just a teensy bite of each thing- which, if you look at my recent bentos, I haven't been really doing that.  I've been trying to fit 2-4 different things in a box and leaving it at that.  No more, I'm going back to having little bites of everything!!! 

BTW, after having tried the vegetarian duck again, I actually like it.  My memory of it was dry, hard, crunchy (not in a good way) and just overall ick, but this kind is really good, soft and yummy. 

So, wow, 100 bentos.  I guess it's just another number, but it is a BIG number!!!  I'm proud that I stuck to this hobby- my mom said, back in July, "Why are you spending so much money on this, you'll just stop doing it over time" and it's kind of true, if it was another hobby I might have gotten bored already.  But you know, having seen the results with my weight, and just how happy it makes me to open up my lunch and find the delicious food I've packed for myself, and I just feel overall better in general.  I have not regretted bento'ing at all and I don't think I'll stop anytime soon.  I highly recommend it for anyone tired of spending big money on lunch, or tired of being overweight, or just tired of eating garbage all the time. 

Happy Bento to everyone!!! 

3 comments:

  1. I love your blogs so much, thank you! you've inspired me to start bento-ing too. its great finding something that you love doing and sticking to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on 100 bentos! I just passed 50 and couldn't believe it was going so fast. :0)

    ReplyDelete