Sunday, October 25, 2009

Feisty Bento #394: Bronx Zoo Woo Bento

IMG_0208.JPG

What is that!

IMG_0210.JPG

It's a bento I made to take to the Bronx Zoo this past Sunday.  I took my nephews (along with their mother and my boyfriend - I was actually there to be on stroller duty, for the exhibits you can't bring a stroller into, I stood outside and kept watch on the crammed-full-of-stuff strollers) and we really lucked out, because out of the two days this weekend, clearly only one was suited for the ZOO!!!  (It poured on Saturday.) 

Hard boiled egg; carrot sticks; dressing
Hidden under the horrifying ;) cilantro is mini banh-mi pitas. 

Yep, I stuffed mini-pita-pockets, that I snipped open with scissors, with pate, cha lua, pickled carrots/daikon, a schmear of Vietnamese mayo, and ate them with bites of the cucumber and the cilantro pieces. 

IMG_0212.JPG

That's a close up. 

Envy me, I'm food's MVP :)

(Although I will point out that the pita bread doesn't quite have as much oomph as a good, crisp baguette does.) 

*I brought a bento to the Zoo because the Mommy packed ham sandwiches for everyone, and I decided that I would be good and eat some of the food in my fridge.  Plus it saves a ton of money - though we did 'splurge' and get fries for everyone, and nachos for me, we still saved a ton from buying the crappy pizza at the zoo...

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea! :D I bet they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ::mentally picking off the cilantro:: That is gorgeous and looks great. We always pack lunches when we go to the zoo because it is so freaking expensive and the food is awful [think HS cafeteria]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder why the name for this bento is BronxZoo?! But I love the color, and this made me think as well whether bentos should be vegans?! Thanks for this idea.

    ReplyDelete