Monday, July 21, 2008

Feisty Bento #194: Something AWESOME, and super exciting news!!!

I had a good, albeit busy, weekend... started off with the farewell bar bash of one of my closest coworkers... I've known him for 2-3 years now, and in that time, we've become really close; going on double dates, bemoaning a lot of bad things, sharing a drink whenever possible, throwing parties for people just as an excuse to have a party, and overall... just becoming good friends.  His life path is taking him somewhere I will never go, but I wish him the best of luck and hope that in the future, our paths will cross again and put us in the same city. 

Anyway, moving away from the sadness of goodbyes (funny, I realized I didn't even really say goodbye to him... probably because I'm seeing him one last time before he leaves), Saturday saw us (bf & I) at a friend's BBQ.  Ever since I saw this link on Serious Eats, sent it to BF and said "Want to do this?" I've been dying for an occasion to, well, do it!  So we did.

In all its glory... unfortunately, our hostess's blender fritzed out, so we had to hand mash most of the watermelon to get some form of juice out of it.  Also- I wanted vodka instead of rum, thinking rum would be too strongly flavored, so we used vodka instead.  And added ice inside of the watermelon to superchill it.

In action - shot 1

In action - shot 2.  He doesn't have the faucet open all the way, thus the weak stream, and I think it was getting low at that point.  I drank a LOT of it.  Haha.

Today's bento. 

Top tier: kickin' chicken; baby carrots
Bottom tier: English cucumber slices; celery sticks; roasted pine nut hummus for the veggies

Also, head over to The Feisty Foodie for some super exciting news!!!  How COOL is that?!?!?!

And if you're in the NYC area, enter my contest to win free lunch!  Healthy lunch, no less!

As always - happy bento!!!

4 comments:

  1. oh .. hmm, for some reason, i was thinking about straight spiked watermelon .. i.e. you carve the top off the watermelon, poke it through w/ chopsticks, let it sit updown overnight to let the juiced drain, then pour alcohol in and let that soak up .. then cut/carve up watermelon for consumption.
    if you do this again, add some mint -- found that mint + watermelon soup = awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hooooollllly cow. is that a watermelon drink dispenser?!??!


    ....have i died and this is heaven?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally jealous. It was all I could do to not run (oh okay drive) to Home Despot the very minute I saw that post on SE.

    ReplyDelete