Monday, April 6, 2009

Feisty Bento #323 & 324: Nomminess

IMG_7985

I think this will be my lunch bento.  I'm not sure yet.  It's kind of interchangeable.  But I made this one first this morning, so I'm showing it first. 

Spaghetti with marinara (same one used here - it is so good! I would have added cheese but I decided it wouldn't be too good by the time I eat it).  I'd frozen small bundles of spaghetti so this morning I just microwaved it then mixed it with the jarred sauce, yummy.  Oh, and fresh basil leaves top it - they're straight from the plant on my windowsill which, yes, is still going strong!

Green bean salad.  So remember a while back, I talked about this Italian deli I like?  And how they have green bean salad, then I showed it to you in a few bentos - this one, this one, this one, but mostly, this one?  So I had a big bag of green beans yesterday and didn't want to make them the way I always do (blanched and plain, or mixed with mayo for salad, or um, sauteed with a bit of ground pork and soy sauce) so I decided to sort of recreate that.  Only I didn't feel like going to the store for Italian dressing (which is what I'm pretty sure they use to marinate the green beans in), so I used what I had: olive oil and Petrossian raspberry red wine vinegar.  Thinly sliced onions (I didn't have any red onions, though I'd prefer to use those), thinly sliced red bell peppers, and blanched green beans, tossed together with salt & pepper... yummy!  (I marinated them overnight.)

IMG_7990

Green bean salad again.

And that messy looking blob?  Really delicious, I assure you.  It's round two of spinach smashed potatoes.  Except this time I was going for way more spinach than potatoes (I don't think I quite hit that mark), and I steamed the spinach a little on top of the potatoes for a minute or two before mashing them all together, because last time I had issues waiting for the spinach to wilt so I could mash.  I added a lot of butter and a bit of heavy cream, so it still isn't super healthy for you, but it's delicious.  (Salt, pepper as well.)  I'm discovering that eating a vegetarian diet makes avoiding carbs really, really hard.  So, oh well, this is what I have.  At least it tastes good.

For those wondering, I didn't eat meat this weekend. 

Think outside the lunchbox!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment