Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Feisty Bento #118: Crunchy Takuan

Top tier: roast pork; takuan (pickled daikon); Chinese cabbage, beef, onions, peppers
Bottom tier: white rice with two kinds of furikake sprinkled on top (tamago furikake and rice ball furikake)

Speaking of takuan, this stuff is really good in sandwiches.  I said it: two slices of white toast, a schmear of mayo, two slices of lean ham, and a layer of takuan spread across like pickles!  Its sweet and sour crunch really adds another dimension to the sandwich, and since they don't go bad that quickly, it's easy to keep a jar in your fridge for just such a purpose, instead of getting tomatoes, lettuce, etc. etc. etc.  Yum.  And you all know how much I love sandwiches... and how much I pride myself on my own

Happy Bento!!!

1 comment:

  1. Those yellow things are my husband's favorite. Only he repickles his with vinegar, hot peppers and tabasco. Sometimes I wonder ...

    ReplyDelete