Friday, December 5, 2008

Feisty Bento #255: Green Onions & Scallions

Ahhh, my stove is so dirty! 

I actually have more turkey to eat, but this morning I was in such a frantic rush, this seemed to be the easy way out. 

Left cup: sour cream with cayenne pepper sprinkled on top for color - I didn't think this would make a difference, but it added a nice spicy kick to the cool sour cream
Jar: chili with cheese on top (I tweaked the recipe a little bit; instead of using a package of taco seasoning, I added ground cumin, turmeric, paprika, and cayenne until it smelled, looked, and most of all, tasted the way I thought it should taste.)

Not pictured is the baggie of corn chips I brought along to eat with this.  And it was soooooooo good~!!!

Oh, and I thought this was interesting.

You see those three green onions/scallions?  Ummm... they were in my fridge for a couple of weeks before I took them out, rinsed off the yucky leaves, chopped the tops off for stock, and then decided to throw the roots into dirt in the windowbox I have for my basil (see it in the background, thriving?). 

Bear in mind, I did this on Sunday, and took that pic this morning.  I had cut them down to the white part.  That darker green part is all new growth.  From Sunday.  How ridiculous is that?!  (I know, the one closest to the window is struggling, but I looked at it this morning, and up close, you can see something is growing a bit, it's just having trouble since I got dirt on the cut part before planting it.) 

Now I don't have to buy scallions at the store anymore!!!  :D  Well, I may go buy some to plant some more, but basically... how cool is that?!  :D

HAPPY BENTO and have a great weekend!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love chili...mmmmm....sometimes I throw in spice in lieu of the packet - depends on whether I have the chili powder on hand [I am always running out :D] Do you put beans in yours? We do.

    Hey, about the turkey - did you freeze it? 'Cause if it has been just in the fridge for the past week, uh....may be time to ditch it. If you froze it then no worries...

    ReplyDelete