Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Feisty Bento #49: New Bento Set, Hot Curry for Me

This is one of my new bento sets, making its debut!  Expect to see more of it in the coming winter months- love the insulated aspect.

A few months ago, I saw this set I really wanted from Lunch in a Box.  I didn't see it at Ichiban Kan in San Francisco when I went unfortunately, but I found this one - in this year's style, the smaller bag - on eBay and purchased it.  Look how cute!  It's completely insulated and

comea with a fork in a case which slips easily into the mesh pocket up top (where one could ostensibly also store napkins or other utensils), and on the right, two "side dish containers".  The left is a thermal jar with a top you pull off as opposed to unscrew- something that Biggie of Lunch in a Box says is a useful feature if you're packing food for a young child who may have trouble unscrewing a lunch jar. 

Hehe, oops, I overpacked the jar with too much rice.  It's not all rice; hiding underneath is Japanese curry, using a "rice lid" method I learned from Lunch in a Box

In the side dish on the left, pork & leek dumplings and gyoza sauce in case I find them dry, and in the right side cup, edamame and bean sprouts.  Yum.

The jar of curry, pre-adding the rice.  Supposedly using the "rice lid technique" in this jar will keep the curry hot along with the rice until lunchtime- you fill the jar with boiling hot water and let it sit for a little bit before emptying it, then adding your goodies. 

Having eaten lunch a while ago now (and waiting to post this), I can say that because I overfilled the jar, it didn't seal completely so my rice/curry wasn't piping hot.  HOWEVER, I firmly believe that's my fault and not the container's fault, so next time, I know better than to pack it so full.  Even still, the rice/curry was warm and tasty, soft and delicious.  YUMMY!

As always, HAPPY BENTO!!!

3 comments:

  1. That container is adorable!!! I love it! Yummy your lunch sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your blog! it has inspired me to want to make better lunches for me and my bf! i found you while googling built ny lunch bags.

    ReplyDelete