Friday, October 19, 2007

Feisty Bento #57: More New Ideas

Today's lunch excites me for a few reasons, not least of all that this is the end of the egg salad.  (It's delicious, but you get a bit bored of it after a while, no?)  (And I could re-make it, I'm sure, but I concentrated on re-making my shepherd's pie leftovers instead, haha...)

Top tier: crab cake from Trader Joe's cut into quarters; egg scramble using shepherd's pie base
Bottom tier: edamame (soy beans), deshelled; egg salad; sauteed Napa cabbage with garlic

It's the first time I'm trying Trader Joe's crab cakes, after a friend suggested them.  $3 for two decently sized patties (I used one here), and these could be fried or put in the oven.  I stuck one in the toaster oven to free up my time, and promptly used my time making the egg scramble, a new idea.  The crab cake came out super crispy, I cut it into quarters so it'd fit better and to speed up cooling time. 

The egg scramble- I took three spoonfuls of the meat mixture for shepherd's pie and heated a small skillet over low heat.  Once the meat mixture started to sizzle a bit, I pushed it to one side and poured a beaten egg (no seasonings) into the pan, stirred it around, and then stirred it all together, breaking it down and cooking it a little bit more "well done" than I like my scrambled eggs, for food safety purposes.  Put it on a plate, spread out and let it cool down.  It's kind of a take off idea from my comfort food dish blended with Avenue Food's "Joe's Special" dish.  Yummy... I can't wait.  High protein and I have some veggies in there, too! 

Super excited.  As always, happy bento'ing and have a great weekend!!!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm... those scrambled eggs sound good!! How was the crab cake? I pass a Trader Joe's every day, so I just might have to stop by and see if I can get some!

    ReplyDelete