Thursday, January 22, 2009

Feisty Bento #280: Dinner for lunch or lunch for dinner?

IMG_7159

That was part of my dinner last night... and basically what I had for dinner last night is what I have for bento today! 
From the top/left: sauteed cabbage; marinated cuttlefish (spicy); sauteed mungbean sprouts; picked daikon; spicy chicken; Woorijip gimbap
Not pictured: bowl of rice mixed with red steak and onions, sauce

IMG_7171

Repeat! 

Left cup: spicy marinated cuttlefish; pickled daikon; sauteed cabbage; mungbean sprouts
Right cup: spicy chicken; gimbap; takuan
Jar: rice mixed with steak, onions, sauce

It's not like it's hard to smush that stuff in there, but it's fiddly and I lose patience with my less-than-excellent chopsticks skills.  (Despite growing up in an Asian household, my parents found it incredibly frustrating to make me use chopsticks properly for two reasons: I am left handed, so they had to constantly think how to reverse the instructions, and because I simply refused, preferring forks and spoons.)  So my chopstick skills to this day are laughable; most anyone I know has a better grasp than I, including every single non-Asian friend I have that I have eaten at an Asian restaurant with. 

So the rice?  It's not a new thing - I've posted about this restaurant leftover before - but I made my life even easier than frying it last night.  I just made fresh rice (in my rice cooker), and when the rice was almost but not quite cooked all the way, I dumped in the cut up steak.  When the rice was finished, I stirred it all around, adding the onions and sauce from the carton, and let it sit for a few minutes to warm through (while I prepped my side dishes in the first pic), and voila, delicious and filling dinner! 

... and delicious, filling leftovers for lunch today :)

Happy bento~!!!

1 comment:

  1. Love that first pic! And today's bento box. Want it!

    ReplyDelete